Monday, December 10, 2007

What's in a name?

Dear Yeti,

Are you forever defined by your nickname? For example, if you go by the name shirtless guy and one day you put a shirt on did you just lose your identity? And if
so, how does one shake a nickname?


I think that nicknames definitely play a role in defining who you are. I guess it depends on how catchy the nickname really is. For example, I have a couple of friends who go strictly by their nickname. I rarely ever call them by their real name. That's who they are.

Who has the right to give you a nickname? Your parents, for one. My mom and dad gave me a nickname when I was a kid (which referenced my obtrusively large head) and they still call me that to this day. Your significant other also has a right to give you a nickname. Typically it's one that you use exclusively with that person only and isn't tossed around to everyone. Finally, anyone friend that you would sit down and have a beer with also can give you a nickname. This is generally the nickname that is used more often, and more likely to define you as a person. You can have a maximum of three nicknames, that's it.

Here's hoping you have at least one cool nickname.

Until next time,

The Yeti

2 comments:

pH said...

they call me lady and that's nickname enough.

The Bar Belle said...

I've had some weird ones through the years: Kinky, Roger, You Have The Right To Remain Silent ...